Virtual / Augmented Reality and Architectural Visualisation. Workshop at eCAADe 2015, TU Wien.
The workshop is aiming to get participants familiar with contemporary tools and practices regarding Virtual and Augmented Reality. It will offer an introduction to the Unity 3D game engine and workflow for developing applications focused on architectural visualization. Using the Oculus Rift and the Leap Motion controller, participants will learn how to create Virtual Reality experiences, as well as Augmented Reality mobile applications.
The workshop was given on the 14 and 15th of September, at TU Wien, Vienna, Austria, as part of the eCAADe 2015 conference themed “Real-time”.
- Software installation
- Presentation of the tutors’ previous work with Unity that includes virtual & ugmented reality applications, realtime interaction, projection mapping, audio applications, real-time graphics, design parametrisation
- Introduction and familiarisation with the environment of Unity 3D, and its core capabilities
- Creation of a basic scene with a 3D model, and in-world navigation
- Oculus Rift HMD implementation
- Homework: Implementation of the participants’ own models in the scene
- Homework presentation
- Further development focusing on interaction / implementation of the Leap Motion controller with the Oculus Rift HMD
- Introduction to mobile app development
- Implementation of an Augmented Reality mobile SKD
- Application development and installation
- Smart phone (optional)
- Basic knowledge of C# or Java programming is an advantage
- Installation of the latest Unity3D
Through a brief but thorough presentation and hands-on usage of state of the art methods and technology on VR and AR, the workshop is aiming to offer participants ideas about applications in architecture, as well as the necessary knowledge to start developing their own, and a stable foundation for further development of their skills. Participants will leave the workshop with their own VR and AR laptop and mobile apps.
Constantinos Miltiadis | studioany.com
Achilleas Xydis | achilleasxydis.com
September 2015 / eCAADe 2015: Real-time